Sunday, January 18, 2009

Yoga

I finally made it to a yoga class! I signed up for a free class months ago and never went. Today I went to my first class ever with my favourite red-head and a brand new friend and it was amazing. The instructor was too adorable for words and I thought she led a really good class; I have no experience, of course, but she radiated warmth and happiness and that light-ness of spirit that one would expect from a yoga instructor.

A funny-odd thing happened to me during the first few minutes of class; we were breathing, the in-out centering and grounding breathing you do and the instructor was telling us all the right things: breathe in peace and tranquility and love, and breathe out our worries and fears and doubts. Let go of obstacles and expectations and self-judgment and be. I always thought I do that really well, that I am comfortable and happy and contended with who and where I am. So I was a little surprised at myself when I nearly started to cry when she was talking about loving ourselves and letting go of self-judgment.

I managed not to embarrass myself, but several times throughout the hour-long class I really had to fight to keep control. It was a nice experience, in a very gentle class. I was a little worried that I'd stick out among the other people; I'd never taken a formal class, never learned in a structured environment. I'm not in great shape and I've been uncomfortable with my body for some time. And even though I've been doing yoga on my own for years, I'm a total beginner. I felt comfortable though, excited to be doing something I've been wanting to do for so long and happy to be there with good friends who I knew wouldn't judge me if my spine wasn't straight or my poses were sloppy or if I had my head turned differently from the rest of the class.

I have more to say, but I'm sort of in a zen-bubble so I'll just say that yoga is some bad-ass business and I can't wait to go again.

1 comment:

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Weird. This (and the next three posts) only just popped up in my reader today. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed yoga. I'm very out of shape and I love it -- and I've been known to cry at odd times there, but I don't think anyone has noticed yet!