Sunday, January 4, 2009

Burning boat

I've recently become interested in the television programme One Tree Hill, and have been watching it on DVD. One of the early episodes incorporates a tradition in the town called "burning boat", where a boat is placed for the residents to put the things they want to burn. They place things that represent their regrets or their shame, things they want closure on. Then the boat is burned while the town looks on and the people get closure.

I love rituals involving fire, and use them often in my own spiritual practice. Recently that practice has fallen off, though; I haven't been taking care of myself spiritually, and I wonder if the depression and restlessness I have been experiencing lately is because of some sort of spiritual unrest. Observing my spirituality is one of the many tools I use in life to feel connected and to feel sane. I don't know why must continuously learn this same lesson, don't know why it's so hard for me to keep with it, even though I know how good it is for me.

I do know that I need my own burning boat, and I need one right now.

No comments: