Saturday, January 14, 2012

Experiments in chili

I tried this chili recipe last night, with a couple variations: dried navy beans and 13-bean combination (because I'm a sucker for not using shit that comes in cans); I also used about half a can of tomato sauce, and chopped tomato instead of canned tomato. I'm pretty sure that using the tomato sauce made it a little less 'clean-eating' than the original recipe called for, but I was happy with the results.

What I learned: the beans I used needed to soak a lot longer than I thought. I boiled the beans for two minutes then let them soak for an hour; by the time I used them in the chili (several hours later), many of them were still rather hard and crunchy.

Apart from that, I'd call the chili mostly-successful. This is only the second chili recipe I've made (first recipe courtesy of Bunny, who is quite possibly the best cook I know after my mama) and I'm looking forward to improving it.

Next on my list of experiments: marinara sauce, because pasta is proof of the existence of god as far as I'm concerned.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many times for dried beans, letting them soak for 12-24 hours is a good idea.

Jade said...

Really, that long? Even after boiling them? Love the idea of dried beans, but I'm not a very good plan-aheader.

Anonymous said...

Yes, sweetie, that long! When we make bean dishes, we put them to soaking before we go to bed. The next day, the water is all soaked up and the beans are swollen and ready to be added to the pot of whatever we're making. Bean soup is my favorite, your Dad loves chili. We should write a book about cooking....

Johnny said...

I learned that lesson the hard way trying to make 15 bean soup. Super hard beans slathered in soup.

Jade said...

I'm learning the hard way too! Eating around beans is dumb.

Mom, we really should. I'm stealing recipes off the internet and I've spent nearly the whole weekend cooking. You know that means you'll have to start writing your shit down.