Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Writing letters

I attempted to write a letter today. With a pen. On paper. I spelt "course" wrong. Twice. As in, "of course I know how to spell"!

It was humiliating, and sort of made me want to never use a computer again. I used to be very good at letter writing. Once a month all the cousins and aunts and uncles in Mr. J's family to whom we are close would get a letter from me. I even wrote my grandmother regularly.

These days, I'm so busy I can barely remember things from one day to the next. I have not written a letter in months, probably years. My New York mom deserves a letter, because I'm terrible at keeping in touch (I'm sorry, and I really do love you!).

But I am a perfectionist, and my penmanship is so awful nowadays that I'm afraid Sister Mary might find out and put me in the coat closet, and I no longer know how to spell simple, short words. So anyone who doesn't have a blog or email won't be getting any letters from me. I've giving up on the writing, and will only communicate if I can fill in a bubble with blue or black ink.

1 comment:

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

I wish my pen had spell check. I still do occasionally write real letters and I occasionally make real phone calls, but for the most part, if you aren't on the Internet, I'm not keeping in very close touch with you.

I actually have a few friends who prefer phone to e-mail as much as I prefer e-mail to phone. We hardly ever talk because we're not working in the same medium.