Sunday, August 3, 2008

Changes at work

I just spent a week at my company's corporate offices participating in some software training. The company I work for has undergone a significant amount of professional transition in the last year+, and took the opportunity to engage us in more training and team-building exercises while were were in town.

One of the things they did was to have an HR meeting with all the managers and supervisors, from both corporate and those of us from satellite offices. That gave us the chance to get to know our peers within the company and learn more about corporate expectations, etc. I know it sounds dull and dry, but it was really exciting.

I gained a lot of software knowledge about the programs we use for our jobs, programs that I had not had any sort of training on before last week. I discovered that I have a lot of reporting capability with the program that will help me develop my employees more, and become more efficient in my office.

The team building was fun; the yearly company picnic was planned so that I could attend and a bunch of people got together and got a dunk-tank for the picnic; members of the executive team volunteered to get 'dunked', which was terrific fun to watch. It helped that the weather was exceptionally nice and there was free soda.

I really enjoyed my time there, and am now so excited to go back to work. I have so many ideas for ways in which I can make my office more efficient and improve morale. I have new tools for reporting on current employees' skill-sets, and ways to test potential employees before hiring and putting the time and effort into training them. I have a lot more control in my office than I realized, and a lot more room to grow as a manager than I was expecting. This is an exciting time for me, because I'm ready to move into some different areas in my professional growth, areas I've been anxious to get into for some time but have lacked the tools I needed for that growth. I think great things are waiting for me just around the corner, and I can't wait to find them.

No comments: