Sunday, April 12, 2009

Domesticating

I felt the need to do domestic stuff today. It doesn't happen often, but lately it's becoming more and more frequent. Usually I cook (I still need to post my fabulous chili experience) but today I thought I'd do something a little more type-A.

So I organized my cupboards.

I have a small kitchen (really the whole apartment is rather on the small side), and things really do need to be organized or it gets cramped fast. Our kitchen and dining areas are beyond cramped.

Partly I can blame my mom, who gives us ... stuff. Baskets and boxes full of treats, and bags of goodies and just stuff.

I love my mom. I really do. It's just ... I don't want anymore stuff. Please understand.

Partly I can blame myself, because I save everything and I'm terribly lazy. I made a zillion resolutions about things I'd change when we moved, and I have kept very few of them.

Today I went through the cupboards, one by one, taking stock of what's what. I threw out the old stuff, re-arranged the new stuff, and made a list.

Then I put the list into an Excel spreadsheet and grouped like items by worksheet. And maybe I made some subcategories, with column headings and alphabetized lists. Then I shared it with my husband via Google docs (because how cool is that?!) in the hopes that he'll be as dorky as I am and ooh and aah over my list.

I know, I know. I can't help it. I really do feel better though.

No comments: