Friday, July 11, 2014

Projects I'm excited about

  • Transcribing an audio recording of my husband's grandmother during our family reunion. Grandma is 96 years old, but if you weren't told that you'd never know. She gets around with the aid of one of those walker-scooty-chairs, but she really gets around; her mind is sharp and she's got a great sense of humour. And the love that she radiates... I think she's the template God had for grandmas. During the reunion she spoke about her life, her conversion to the Gospel and joining of the church, and her family. Steve was clever enough to record it, and I'd like to transcribe it and make it available to everyone.
  • Going through all 1000+ photographs I took over the last week in Arizona. I didn't get nearly what I wanted; I missed a couple photo ops with the kids and the family we were staying with, but I got quite a few.
  • Writing letters to my nieces and nephew. Before Grandma spoke about her life one of the cousins mentioned the importance of our heritage, especially to the younger generation; to know about our families, where we come from, and what life was like before we were born... these things are important to a "sense of self". That really resonated with me, but I'm not raising my own children so I thought I'd focus on my brother-in-law's family. I love his children so much and they are such amazing little people; they have such a wonderful family and we live so far away from each other - I thought some letter-writing might be a nice way to bridge the gap between visits and vacation.
  • A secret project I'm working on for one of the missionaries in my area. I'm not ready to talk about this one, but it's going to be awesome.


1 comment:

Emily said...

Sounds awesome!! I've been trying to write letters to my sisters and friends. I love getting mail, and I've kind of missed writing to people. I hope your projects go well for you! Keep us posted! :)