Thursday, February 24, 2011

un-NaNo

 

So, I've been writing again. I won't be done in a month, and I don't care that it's not November. My head is filled with it, and barely able to hold other things. There are a lot of other things it needs to be holding now, for sure, but I'm stuck on this story. I'm having fun writing it, even though I don't know where it's going.

I mean literally - I don't know what's going to happen when I sit down to write. I have vague ideas that I want to develope these scenes more and give some more background, but when I start writing they take over. I've heard about this, other writers have told me they experience this amazing phenomenon. I have to admit, I was secretly disappointed the first time I sat down to write and my character didn't come alive and control my pen. She just sort of sat there staring at me from the page, sullen and silent, while I struggled painfully through making her do interesting things. She fought me for a long time, until she didn't.

I haven't done any real writing in days, just jotting down notes on index cards (or the backs of receipts or typed out frustratingly on my iPhone). I did some brainstorming tonight, and I think I enjoy this part of writing more than the story-telling part.

Also, my main character cooks. I had no idea.

Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't that the best ever? I love it when they come to life. Congrats!

Dawn said...

The outlining/plotting is the "most" fun for me because it's a reasonably short period of time that carries both the excitement and visible journey into completion of that phase. I love outlining. I can't tell you how many novels I have outlined that I haven't written.

At some point I just have to stop with the outline and write the novel. So.. I'm there with you. Maybe for different reasons, but I'm there.

Maybe March will be better. :)

Sean said...

Please please please please please please keep working on this to completion, and let me know when it's done. I can't imagine characters you would create would be anything less than epic!

Sean said...

I can't imagine your characters being anything less than epic. More typey typey and less everything else, I'll just sit here while you get that done, k?

Sean said...

Still waiting! How long is this gonna be?

jess said...

Hello, old friend :) Thinking of you and wishing you and your writing well. Sending hugs.

Jade said...

Jess! I've missed you! I saw you and your girl have returned to blogging, I'm so glad to catch up a little with what you've both shared.

Love and hugs to you both!

jess said...

I've missed you, too, sweetie! Looking forward to catching up on all that's been going on with you, too. Love and hugs back to you, darlin' :)

mosey (kim) said...

this is great. I remember reading Anne Lamott's book on writing and how she knew one of her characters needed to be a gardener, even though she herself knew nothing about gardening. Can't wait to see what you write.

Jade said...

I suppose I should get round to reading that book; I keep hearing about it and I'm ashamed to say I've never read it.