Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Snow day



It has been raining almost constantly for what feels like weeks. Rain means something entirely new to me these days- now that I own property that is in a wetland area, I am learning more about standing water than I knew was possible. My animal pens are an absolute mess as we figure out how to deal with the water that pools everywhere. I find myself researching drainage the way I used to research... well, much more fun things.

I crave the sun and warmth but I have come to appreciate the rain in ways I never have before. It helps that I don't have a commute for work through the very worst of NW traffic, and that I no longer smoke and have that horrifying combination of cigarette smoke + damp smell on my clothing. When I don't have to go out in the rain, it's not all that awful.

I find the sound of it restful. I have a white noise app on my phone that I often listen to when I need help sleeping, and the rain sound is among my favourites. Now, when I hear rain I feel calm and meditative.

My home office, where I spend the majority of every week-day doubles as my craft room. I have a small futon and ottoman, bookshelves with yarn and knitting books and all manner of craft items, a television, and a desk. Even when I can't take advantage of craft-time, being here in this room with the sounds of rain around me and an overcast gloom in the air, I feel creative and inspired to do something amazing on a break today in place of my normal social media mindless-scroll.

Today, it’s snowing. Which is pretty to look at and makes me want to turn the heat on full blast and knit, but there’s no such thing as a snow day when you work from home.

No comments: