Monday, January 13, 2020

Book review: The Hate U Give

Book: The Hate U Give
Author: Angie Thomas, narrated by Bahni Turpin
Dates read: January 1-2, 2020

This book takes us through one young woman’s battle with racism, violence, and what it means to be Black in white spaces. I found this book to be heartbreakingly raw and eye-opening. It was beautifully written and wonderfully narrated. Ms. Turpin brought Starr’s character and story alive for me.

One of the things that struck me is how the author demonstrated racist behaviour among the people in Starr’s life. It felt reflective of the racist behaviour I observe on social media, and the experiences I have heard about from people of colour. It is a stark reminder to me that how we MEAN to behave and how our behaviour FEELS to someone else are very different, and it is important to be able to step back and give others space. Space to breathe, space to be validated, space to be themselves.

No comments: