Saturday, September 15, 2007

Stiff ankles

My ankles have been really stiff lately when I run. I thought it was just getting into a new routine, and that the stiffness would wear off after my body fully adjusted to the amount of work I'm making it do, but that's not so. I ran again tonight and the moment my foot hits the ground my ankles screamed with pain. It's bearable pain, but pain nonetheless.

Aerolin suggested running on dirt trails, which sounds so much better than the concrete I have been running on. Until I have the chance to do that, however, I've got to work something else out. I have cut so much fat out of my diet that I wonder if that's the cause of my stiff joints.

I think I'll make a trek to a high school track sometime in the future

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How are your shoes? I mean, are they honest-to-goodness real running shoes designed for running on the street? Cause if they're just sneakers, you can do your joints serious injury. That's one thing I learned when running, if you're going to be serious, you have to have good shoes. Aching joints can be a sign of bad shoes that aren't supporting you. Real running shoes are pricey, but think of the money you'll save in surgery later on...I'd recommend a trip to Dick's sporting goods.

Jade said...

I do have honest to goodness shoes designed for running - they're Avia's. I'm no expert on the merits of this brand over that, but I've heard good things about Avia.

Lucky for me, I'm just a wee bitty thing so I can shop for shoes in the girls' department. :)

Anonymous said...

::whistles:: Where, oh where, could sweet lady Jade be...

Jade said...

When you left this message, I was getting ready to go to a graduation party for some friends who just graduates with BSs! I'm so proud of them.

Lesley said...

Tight achilles tendons can cause similar problems. My physio has prescribed daily exercises, which stretch the tendons, and it does seem to be helping with the heel pain. Hope you find a solution to your pain ASAP!