Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Running from negativity

I've been focusing on getting my body into shape now that my eating habits are so much better. I have been walking with Jeff in the evenings, and lately I've been trying to get in shape enough to run. For now this means running for a few yards then dropping back into a walk for a block, running for another few yards, and so on. It's slow going, and I'm sore from shoulders to ankles the next day but I feel great. I bought a walkman to listen to books on tape while I'm out on my own and I'm really enjoying the exercise.

I've also added some weight training back into my routine. I have to force my body to continue, and my mind seems to shriek with an overwhelming need to lay around the house and read, but I'm slowly getting my sedentary habits under control.

I wasn't prepared for the cathartic effect of running. I've always heard that when I'm in a funk physical exercise will break me out of it; when I'm in a funk, I just want to lay around and drink hot, sugar-laden drinks out of over-sized coffee mugs, read mystery novels, and be left alone. I feel so much clarity when I'm running, though. I feel like my body is breaking apart and releasing capsules of negativity, which I'm sweating out of my pores. Answers come to me in those moments, solutions to questions I have about life and changes around me, in a way that I seek when I meditate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited for you and running! Might I recommend running in parks on dirt nature trails? Much better for your knees. I miss running. I felt the same way as you seem to - running was one of my meditative times. Hugs and happy running shoes to you!

Jade said...

Thanks for the suggestion! My current area / neighbourhood is very lacking with parks and dirty nature trails, but where I'll be moving to in Portland has TONS of trails that will be easier on the knees. I'll also be pretty close to the college campus I'll be attending, so I plan on running at the track there too. Though, I think I'll enjoy running on park trails much better! :)