Monday, December 28, 2020

Writing goals: fairy tales

I recently wrote a short story, a sort of fairy-tale-ish thing. It's not the normal sort of writing I do, and I was a little nervous about sharing it with my family (you can read about that experiment here). The most lovely GirlGriot suggested that I write more fairy tales, as it's so far out of my comfort zone.

If you know me by now, you'll recognize this as a challenge most exciting- I love doing stuff outside my comfort zone.

So I want to know, my friends: what are your favourite fairy tales? I prefer the dark and morbid to modern-day happy ending stories so of course I dug out my decades-old copy of Grimms Brothers stories. But I don't love fairy tales in general, so I need a bit of help to get started. Give me your most and least favourites!

Regarding that family project: it was an absolute delight to hear what others had written. There are 8 stories written so far, and we went around the room and read them aloud to my father-in-law. There is so much talent and humour in this group and it was precious to see that coming together in such a personal way.


No comments: