Saturday, August 1, 2020

Journal Prompt: Daily Routine

My routine
I've been working from home for several years now, so the viral outbreak and consequent quarantine haven't really interrupted my life much- except that I did go from having about 3 free evenings each month to now having all the free evenings. That has been nice. I have been fortunate in that there was no interruption to my paycheck. I am feeling very grateful for that.

When I first started working from home, I had a routine: I got up at my regular time, took a shower and dressed for the day, and arrived at my home office at the normal time. My job had gone from high-stress to zero stress.

Something I have learned about me is that I need at least a little stress to function. If I'm not under some sort of deadline or looming crisis, I don't get quite as much done. Having no career-related stress meant that within a very short amount of time I abandoned the routine.

And now, 7 years on, I have no routine at all. Between morning time and go-to-bed time, my life is mostly ruled by my work calendar (and of course, I've worked myself back up to having some stress related to my job,

If I actually had a routine, it would look like this:
  • I would make my bed every morning. Do any of you do this? I'm so in the habit of rolling out of bed and bolting for my office in the morning before my brain is even engaged. How do I change this?
  • Breakfast, vitamins, water. My day starts with Rockstar. Energy drink, not e-string guitar. I feel like I would do much better with a healthy breakfast. By the time I remember this each day, I'm three meetings in and consuming my second energy drink.
  • Exercise. A couple years ago I was working out with a personal trainer. My dad had just died, I had braces on my teeth, and I was working out regularly which meant I was very close to my target weight. Thanks to COVID I rotate between day-time PJs and night-time PJs and eat like I'm on vacation.
I know there's more that would help me but I feel like if I could add these few things to my daily routine I would be happier.

For those of you who have a routine, please please please share with me. I need help, and motivation. What do you do that works? How have you changed your habits?

No comments: