Thursday, January 4, 2018

Year in review: 2017

Like many of us I am inspired by the new year to look around, take stock, and figure my life out. I have often reviewed my blog posts to really get a feel for how my year went. If we look at all the posts for 2017, it looks like a pretty uneventful year... or at least less eventful than it was.

I turned 39 in January and that was the first day I figured out my dad was really sick - he missed my birthday dinner and he never misses a birthday dinner. He was admitted to the hospital and didn't come home for a couple weeks. At that point, we were given a cancer diagnosis and some treatment options.

In May the home that my husband and I were having built was completed and we moved into a wonderful new space; my in-laws also moved from Tennessee and are right next door!

June, July, and August were filled with outdoor stuff like never before! My husband built a shed, mowed 3 acres, and had a small pen fenced in for the goats that arrived at the end of August.

Also in August, I participated in my last ever (probably) Portland to Coast relay race. It was a hard decision to make this year my last, but one I needed to make. We'll see how I feel when this August rolls around and my friends all troop off for the best/worst 36 hours ever.

November brought with it braces for me, and the nastiest flu ever for both me and Steve; we spent the latter half of the month and a good portion of December sick.

December saw multiple fairly serious injuries, more dental work, and the deaths of my grandmother, my dad, and one of Steve's aunts. My brother in law and his family visited for Christmas and I really enjoyed having them here. I'm lucky to have a wonderful relationship with my in-laws, and they're some of the best people to be around when I'm suffering emotionally.

2017 has been a rough year for me. It has also been amazing. I love my new home; I love having Steve's parents next door; I love my goats! My dad gave me the goats as a gift, so they're double-special.

As with everything else I've experienced in my life, I'm doing my best to focus on the good parts. The parts that need to be nourished, or improved. The parts that bring me joy and uplift my soul. It is proving to be hard work; my natural pessimism keeps dragging my mind to the darkest corners of this year and I'm struggling not to give in to it. The last time I was suffering this much I did not handle it gracefully. One of my biggest fears is acting foolish where others can see me, so I'll be working on maintaining my dignity in 2018.

No comments: