Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Unplanned

I did an unplanned run last night. I think those are the best kind. I have been away from running for a couple months, and have been smoking more and more, so planning running is becoming less appealing for me.

So last night when I had a sudden whim to run, I didn't talk myself out of it. It was just starting to cool off from a very warm day; fireworks were ramping up, despite most of them being illegal in my state; I'd had a couple days of heavy food and more alcohol than I normally consume, so it was really past time.

I asked The Roommate along, because it's always better with a buddy, and we set out on a run one minute/walk two minutes pace. We kept that up for a mile, then decided to take the rest of the exercise at a slower, more relaxed pace (on account of the smoking).

One of my favourite things to do is walk through neighbourhoods and imagine my life in the houses I see. I fantasize about where my furniture will be, or the room devoted solely to my knitting; I imagine myself in an overly-large kitchen, drinking wine and cooking pasta for one, and not sharing my space with another living being. I never fancied myself such a loner, but I find that when I'm constructing my life in my head there isn't anyone else there.

My life so far is as unplanned as last night's run. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, and it doesn't always come out precisely how I want it; but I feel content for now, and that's something that feels a little new.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just take it day by day. Good for you getting out on that run - I hope you find time and energy for more. You deserve to be fit and healthy.

And btw daydreaming yourself alone is normal, it's how our minds escape the insanity of everyday chaos. It doesn't mean you're a loner. You just want some peace. ;D