Sunday, July 26, 2009

Ruby Red and a case of the I-don't-knows

Old friends make my heart hurt, in the very best of ways.

Remembering me, before I became who I am today. Was I ever so naive? So unfettered and free and skinny?

If I could go back and talk to her, I'd tell her so many things. Don't act like a tard, I'd say to myself. And stop eating doughnuts for breakfast and lunch.

If only she knew how to look beyond tomorrow. The long, awkward afternoon of her teenage-hood would set the pace for years to come and she wouldn't be able to find her way back to that girl who used to be so much nicer. Whose heart used to be so much lighter.

She was so busy looking ahead, she forgot to enjoy her right-now. She's been doing that for a very, very long time.

1 comment:

Gin said...

Ahhhhh Jade. My sentiments exactly! I regret not enjoying the here and now and always looking ahead to what was next. I think we probably all do.