Monday, August 6, 2007

Lammas

Lammas, like many holidays, was difficult for me. I don't have a garden, so I have nothing to harvest. I'm a terrible cook, so I don't often do it. I'm often left feeling left out, in my own practice.

My husband and I walked up to a field that has wild flowers growing; in lieu of harvesting herbs from a garden, I snipped some flowers and gathered a pine-cone or two. I arranged this "harvest" in a deep green ceramic bowl that became the centre-piece of my kitchen table.

For dinner, I made a salad of radiatore pasta with shelled edamame and baked chicken, tossed with vinaigrette dressing. Jeff graciously agreed to forgo our usual preferred method of eating, which is usually on the couch with TV trays in front of BSG on DVD, and ate at the table with me.

All in all it was very nice, but I still felt somewhat removed.

I wish I had a garden.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is something I have had issues with. I have found that I don't have a connection with some of the mythologies behind the holidays so some just don't have the same pull for me as others, leaving me at a loss as to how to celebrate or honor a day that just doesn’t have much meaning for me.

I decided recently to celebrate the days that do have special meaning to me that are still a reflection of the changing seasons. Sort of creating my own holidays in place of the ones that seem alien to me. In doing this, my practice has become so much more meaningful for me.

Jade said...

I read your post in which you talked about other ways to honour the holidays, Fox, and I really liked your ideas. I'm still working on this one, though.

I might give up holidays altogether. It wouldn't be the first time I've done it. :)