Friday, December 9, 2022

Journal prompt : self-care

I was chatting with a friend recently who was describing regular hair cuts as self-care. I have alternated between very long hair and an above-the-shoulder-length bob for most of my adult life. I grow it out until it's straggly and split on the ends and dry as old straw and then I cut it off when it gets to be a fire hazard.

I do not get my hair trimmed regularly. I refuse to do anything to my hair that requires regular maintenance. Which means I get my hair cut or coloured once every few years. 

Thinking about my self-care routine I realised... I don't really have one. Oh, I like a good bubble bath and occasionally give myself a manicure but I don't really do self-care. I work from home, don't have to put on any particular appearance, and mostly only go to the supermarket and church, so anything beyond basic daily hygiene feels like a waste of time.

Add in a pandemic and I live in sweat pants and prefer a messy bun to picking up a hair brush.

Suddenly though, self-care is a burning need I have. I'm on a mission to find a self-care routine that doesn't feel like work. Already I've taken all the fun out of it by bullet journaling and scheduling the crap out of it. I've got this perpetual checklist that I just migrate, incomplete, from one day to the next.

Do you have a self-care routine? What does that look like for you? How do you keep it from feeling like work?

No comments: