Wednesday, December 7, 2022

An anniversary



Nine years ago today I was endowed in the temple (a place of worship for members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). A lot happened that week … on December 6th the office I managed closed and I didn't have a job for the first time in 13 years. The next day I went to the temple to make some pretty serious forever-promises.

The promises made in the temple are sacred, so much so that we don't speak of them outside of the temple - not even with other members of our faith. But I will share that those promises are centred around a commitment to my (our) father in heaven, my family, and to doing my best to navigate this world with as much dignity as I can muster.

I am not always good at recognizing what that is supposed to look like. Sometimes I get it wrong, and sometimes I need others to tell me when I'm failing. That's especially fun, considering how much I just love when others tell me what to do.

For me, being endowed means always trying to be my best self. It means not being afraid to be held accountable for my actions and words. It means having grace for others. It means always honouring the divine nature of every person on Earth. I'm still working on that last one so if you see me failing, know that that is a flaw in me, and not a reflection of God.

Every year I feel like I learn a little more, and every year I am reminded of just how little I actually know. I am grateful for the grace and blessings that have kept me tethered to this world so I can keep learning and growing. And hopefully, improving.

I wasn't always a member of this church or even a Christian. I've followed a lot of different paths in life, some of which I still carry with me. I love to learn about other peoples' faith-based practices and spiritual activities. Do you have any practices that keep you grounded?


No comments: